Thursday, October 9, 2014

Project Life by Stampin' Up! (also known as my longest blog post ever)

I think we all know that we take a lot of photos. Photos of our kids, our pets, our gardens, our lunch....


Through the power that is Google, I've come across some interesting statistics.
  • Using film industry statistics, digital photography estimates and some other numbers from somewhere, researchers have calculated the number of photographs ever taken.
  • The 1st photo ever (1826) was called "View from the Window at Le Gras" by French inventor Joseph Nicephore Niepce.
  • The oldest known photo (1838) with a person in the shot shows a man in Paris getting his shoes shined.


The oldest know photo of me (1966)


  • It's estimated that a few million pictures were taken in the 80 years BEFORE the first commercial camera was introduced. (Wow!)
  • By 1930, about a billion photos were taken a year.
  • By 1960, about 3 billion photos were taken a year.
  • It's estimated that by 1960, 55 percent of photos were of babies.



Well d'uh. In 1998, when my daughter was born. 100% of photos were of MY baby!


  • By 1970, about 10 billion photos were taken a year.
  • By 1980, about 25 billion photos were taken a year.

The 80's. My husband is thankful there were no cell phone/cameras then!


  • By 1990, about 57 billion photos were taken a year

In 1990, my daughter was 2 years old. I think I took at least 1 of those 57 billion.


  • By 2000, about 86 billion photos were taken a year
  • Today, we take more than 380 billion photos a year. That totally freaked me out.
  • It's the largest 10 year increase ever.
  • And it's not slowing down
  • Every 2 minutes, we take more pictures than the whole of humanity in the 1800's
  • There are a BILLION photos on Instagram 


From my Instagram account. Downtown Toronto, foggy day.


  • 300 million photos are uploaded to Facebook every day.
  • Only 20 percent of the photos taken today end up on Facebook and there are 10,000 more photos on Facebook than there are in the Library of Congress (plus another 10,000 in boxes under my bed
  • Humans really like taking photos


Did that blow your mind? It blew mine. 


So. Where are your photos?  I am estimating that a good percentage of you are exactly like me. You have a few really nice albums, some of them may even be scrapbooks but you also have hundreds of dollars worth of photos in boxes and bags, stuffed under your bed or in the back of your closet. How will anybody know what the significance of those photos are, once you're not around to explain them?





I totally was a scrapbooker and still consider myself to be one to some degree but, after buying hundreds of dollars worth of scrapbooking supplies during my scrapbooking craze, I eventually ran out of time/space/money/interest. Now what? I don't want to leave those photos under my bed.

I sure wish there was a way to easily preserve my memories and record the people, places and special moments of my life without taking another lifetime to do it.



Guess what. There IS! Project Life by Stampin' Up! is the answer. Memory keeping at it's fastest, easiest and prettiest!  Absolutely NO craftiness required. Project Life by Stampin' Up! is a super simple, totally affordable way to get your photos into albums: you just slip your photos into Photo Pocket Pages and add the designed cards. It's a back-to-basics approach to documenting and memory keeping. In a nutshell, now you can spend more time making memories than you do scrapbooking them! 
I will be hosting some quick, easy and inspiring Project Life by Stampin' Up! classes in the coming months. If you would like to attend or even better, host your own Project Life by Stampin' Up! class, contact us today!

No comments: