Friday, January 2, 2015

Happy New Year!

I hope that you enjoyed a wonderful New Year's celebration and that 2015 will be healthy, happy and crafty for you all.

My daughter (16 years old, grade 11) told me she was not looking forward to 2015.  I was surprised and asked her why.  "I'm not ready" she told me.  I immediately knew what she meant.  She will begin grade 12 (later) this year and is apprehensive about growing up and beginning her life as a young adult. It's a scary time and I wish I could somehow make it easier for her but it's going to happen, ready or not and I told her she needed to embrace this time and just do the best that she could. Make wise decisions, be kind, have some fun but don't dwell on any mistakes she may (likely) make. Accept them and move on.

I turn 50 this year and I think the advice I gave to her is pretty good advise for me as well. Because, I'm not read either.

2015 Resolutions

  • Relax. I regularly arrive at the office at 7:00 a.m. (sometimes earlier). I like this time because the streetcar is quiet and fairly empty at that time of day, the office is quiet and I get time to get settled before the craziness of the day begins.  However, it makes for a very  long, 10 hour day. My resolution is not to change my arrival time but instead of heading directly to the office, get my coffee, grab a seat and spend some time reading a book and taking some deep breaths before heading to the office.
  • Read!  This is always on my list of resolutions.  I didn't reach my 2014 goal of reading 36 books (I read 32) but instead of spending mindless hours in the evening watching television or on the computer, I will do more reading. I won't be setting myself a goal of a certain number of books to read but if I keep to reading a little in the morning before work and each night before bed, I'm pretty sure I can read more than 32 books in 2015. In this vein, I am going to become almost non-existent on Facebook. I have already decreased my time there but other than posting about Stampin' Up! and relating stamping topics, I will be off Facebook (good-bye Candy Crush) for the year.
  • Mindful eating. Did I mention I'm turning 50?  I can't eat the way I have been and make it to 60, I don't think. My body, more and more, is telling me that too much unhealthy food is not my friend. My daughter and I are doing a 4 day juice cleanse beginning tomorrow and then, I will be trying to plan my meals and think about the food I put in my mouth BEFORE I actually eat.
  • Yoga. I love yoga but to be truthful, after a long (10 hour) day at the office, going to a yoga class is pretty low on my list of priorities. I'm going to change my thinking on that. Beginning next week I will aim for one yoga class a week and increase from there because Yoga make me feel amazing.
  • 30 minutes (minimum) of walking each day. I love walking. It's my exercise of choice (I know there are some people who do not consider walking exercise but I do not agree). It takes me about 60 minutes to walk to work so 30 minutes a day is totally manageable. 
  • Stamp!  Of course.  More time for personal "fun" stamping and planning more classes is going to be a priority for me this year.  
  • Oh, one more thing, TRAVEL.  My husband and I have booked a trip to Cuba on the 15th of this month! We have never been on a beach holiday (unless you count Wasaga Beach) so we are super excited. We will also plan a 50th birthday trip at the end of the year as well. Yay!!
Coming up next week, check back in as I will have details about upcoming classes, the 2015 Occasions catalogue, Sale-A-Bration and a blog give-away for a very, popular stamp set!!

No comments: