Sunday, July 19, 2015

Brick Wall Embossing Folder plus Brayer

It's Sunday afternoon and I'm at the end of what was a really great 2 weeks of vacation. To say I'm a little bummed about having to go back to work would be a very big understatement.  I had some much needed quality time with my daughter, a little bit of retail therapy, and even a little stamping (although not as much as I had originally planned). But, all good things must come to an end and I am spending some time in my stamping room to try to get back into a less coma-like state.  

This should probably be a video post but I am still finding myself to be a little technically challenged when it comes to setting up my space for video recording so, photos it is!

This card will be going out as an invitation to all of my "non-stamping" aka "stamp virgin" friends.  Isn't it  cute?  Gorgeous Grunge is a stamp set that I haven't used that often but, like Work Of Art, it has so many uses and paired with the Brick Wall Embossing Folder - I think the look is definitely a grungy, grafitti type of look.  


I am IN LOVE with the new Brick Wall Embossing Folder and may never use a different one.  In the card above, I've simply embossed a piece of Smoky Slate card stock and ended up with that great brick wall texture.  

BUT!

If you pair the embossing folder and a little ink and your brayer, the possibilities for different backgrounds are practically endless.  Have a look. 

Basic Gray cardstock with Basic Gray ink brayered onto the flatter side of the
embossing folder (aka the side with the Sizzix logo on it).

Same combination but with Smoky Slate (awesome, right?).
Real Red cardstock with Craft Whisper White ink brayered onto the raised side of
the emobssing folder (aka the side with the Sissix logo on it).
I can totally see this on a Christmas card.
This one is a little harder to see. It's Basic Black cardstock with Basic Gray brayered on the
flat side of the folder. There is just a very subtle color on the bricks that you can see IRL. 
This one was sort of a cool surprise. I didn't completely dry the embossing folder before I added
Early Espresso ink to it. I like the look on the Crumb Cake cardstock. Very "weathered" looking.
This is my favourite, I think. A nice neutral background that looks awesome.
Crumb Cake cardstock and Early Espresso ink.
Real Red and Real Red
Real Red and Real Red (on the opposite side of the embossing folder)
Basic black and Craft Whisper White.
You can probably see that I got a little carried away.  It's also a great use for your scrap pieces of cardstock. Ink up your brayer and see what you get!  

A couple of things to remember.  

  • When brayering the ink onto the raised side of the embossing folder, use a very light touch if you only want the ink of the raised "mortar" part of the wall. Otherwise, you'll get the colour on the bricks too.
  • Don't forget to wash your brayer and embossing folder in between techniqes. 
  • When running the embossing folder through your Big Shot, it's easiest to run it through with the closed end going through the Big Shot first.
I haven't forgotten about the Punch Board samples either, just got a little distracted.  They will be coming up later this week.

No comments: