Wednesday, March 2, 2016

#imbringingbirthdaysback

You may or may not be aware of my enthusiasm for sending hand-made cards in the mail. Posting a Happy Birthday message on someone's Facebook page is a nice gesture, in a pinch, but I much, MUCH prefer to write a little message inside a card, address the envelope, stick a stamp on the corner and pop it in the mail box. It's work but really, it's not alot of work. 

A few months back, I wrote a post about Thinking of You Week.  It was an initiative that I was very excited about. I created 7 "thinking of you" cards and sent them out to 7 different people during the week of September 21st to 27th. The response I got ranged from "no response at all" to "I just got your card in the mail. It's so beautiful. I know we haven't spoken in a while and you don't really know all the stuff that's been going on with me but when I opened your card, I burst into tears".  I actually received that "burst into tears" response more than once.

My goal was not to make anybody cry, but I told myself they were happy tears and I felt really good about having sent those cards.

I will be doing a bigger and better version of Thinking of You Week this year.... stay tuned.

Fast forward to yesterday when we (Stampin' Up!) demonstrators received our Weekly Update and read how Shannon West (one of my favourite SU people) wants to "bring birthdays back".  You can read Shannon's story here. I think you'll agree that this is a great initiative and I am all about bringing birthday (cards) back.  

As a result of Shannon's "movement" as she calls it, Stampin' Up! manufactured a new stamp specifically for "bringin' birthdays back.

The good news is, it's a pretty cool stamp and I'm excited to start working on unique ways to use it in my card making.  The bad news is that it went on sale at midnight (2:00 a.m. EST) on March 1st and was sold out by 6:00 a.m. EST on March 1st.  I love new stamps as much as the next demonstrator but waking up a 2:00 a.m. to buy a stamp is not on my to do list.  

So, I'm waiting.  Apparently more stamps will be available in the next few weeks. I'm hoping to get my hands on a couple of them and perhaps, there will be a little give away here on the blog.  In the meantime, you can start making your list of upcoming birthdays and who you'd like to send a card to.  

My next Stamp-A-Stack of Birthday cards is coming up on April the 10th and while I can't guarantee that we'll be able to use the new "bringingbirthdaysback" stamp, I can guarantee that we'll be making 2 each of 5 adorable birthday cards.  Space is limited for this class so please let me know as soon as possible if you'd like to join me.

No comments: