Since I've been very negligent about blogging and stamping (I tried to post a pictorial tutorial yesterday but the pictures were not cooperating so I gave up), I thought maybe I'd try a little stamping related 'About Me' list.
1. How did my childhood prepare me for this stamping journey. It didn't! I almost failed kindergarten because of my lack of "scissor skills". My older aunts would unfailingly, every year for birthday and Christmas, buy me some sort of craft kit. Those kits were stacked inside my closet and never opened. Stamping/paper crafting has definitely only become a passion since my daughter was born.
2. What's my dream occupation? Of course it would be to have my own craft studio with a regular calendar of classes and events every month. I'd be able to work every day preparing for my classes and then sharing what I love. However...I will say that as a young girl, I dreamed about being a veterinarian and as an adult, always thought in the back of my mind that I would like to somehow work with animals; even if it was answering the phone part time in a animal hospital.
3. Describe your first stamping experience. I don't remember what got me thinking about scrapbooking but I remember hearing about it somewhere (probably on that new thing called the internet) and found a Creative Memories consultant in my neighbourhood. I asked a friend to join me and we attended a beginner's class. I completely fell in love with scrapbooking. Fast forward a few years and a friend/Creative Memories consultant introduced me to a stamping class and I was completely hooked after that. At the time, I couldn't really afford the time or the money to jump in full throttle as I have now but I loved it and especially loved sharing it with my friends.
4. Do you have any hidden talents? I don't think they're really hidden talents. I have a fairly good ability to work with wooden block stamps. I know a lot of people get "freaked out" because when you use those wooden block stamps, it's much harder to see where you're stamping but for the most part, I can generally "feel" where I'm stamping and 9 out of 10 times, I'm happy with the placement of the stamped image. Also, I can make a loud, piercing whistle by putting two fingers in my mouth and blowing. ;-)
5. What one accomplishment are you most proud of. My daughter of course. She's my greatest accomplishment but if we're talking about stamping...I guess it would be my team. I never set out to have "a team of 10" or "a team of 20" but I have a much larger team than I ever thought I would and it's a team of really great women who I love spending time with. I don't know if this is an "accomplishment" or just luck but I'm very proud to know them all.
6. What Embarrassing Mistake Has Taught You A Lesson. Next question!!
7. What's the Most Unusual Item in Your Desk Drawer. This is my desk drawer at my day job (please don't judge me, I know how bad it is)...but see that blue thing...that's a Creative Memories corner rounder. :-)
8. What's your favorite sports team and how far will you go to show your support? Anyone who knows me, knows that I am a true Toronto Blue Jays fan, through and through. Win or lose, they are my boys and I will never give up on them. My stampin' room is in the basement of my house and we do not have a television down there. If we're having a stamp class while there's a game on, it's not unusual for me to run upstairs to check the score, 4 or 5 or 6 times during a class.
9. Share something funny or endearing about your pet. I try very, very hard to keep our cats out of my stamp room but on occasion, Smash (the younger, more curious of our two cats) will get in there and she LOVES my stampin' sponges. I always know that I've left the stampin' room door open when I step on a sloppy, wet sponge that Smash has "hunted and captured" and carried upstairs. I buy sponges in large quantities for this very reason.
10. What's Your Guilty Pleasure? Besides locking myself in my stamp room for a full day, completely ignoring cooking and cleaning (and the cats)? Binge watching television. Some shows I've binge watched include: Weeds, The Big C, Casual, Downtown Abbey and Mad Men.
That's it for today. I'm off to Stamp Camp tomorrow and I also received a box of new Stampin' Up! goodies yesterday so hope to be able to play a little at some point. I'll post some pictures of my masterpieces early next week. Have a great weekend everyone!